To improve the quality of life in Montgomery County by planning the natural and built environments for current and future generations.
Planning Department Goals
- Plan great walkable communities that are vibrant, livable, accessible and sustainable. This includes:
- Focusing on public amenities and the public realm of streets, plazas and open spaces.
- Considering how people experience spaces and placemaking opportunities.
- Conserving and enhancing existing neighborhoods and historic places.
- Balance infrastructure and growth as the County population increases and unconstrained land for development decreases.
- Offer holistic, well-researched recommendations for plans and regulations that are non-political and based on the best national and regional precedents.
- Engage all stakeholders to develop better-informed plans.
- Advance the field of planning and be recognized as a regional and national leader in all facets of planning.
- Manage the County’s natural resources and direct viable growth that:
- Reduces auto dependency.
- Improves environmental quality by protecting waterways and the natural and built environment.
- Preserves, enhances and expands green space for current and future generations.
- Increases connectivity through all modes of well-considered transportation.
- Ensures the highest quality of buildings, landscapes and streetscapes that reflect design excellence.
- Establishes affordability in all communities.
- Strengthen economic competitiveness to help attract new residents and businesses to Montgomery County.
- Create and increase trust in the Planning Department to gain community support for plans and appropriate resources from the County government.